March Madness: KU falls in championship game

Kansas players leave the court following a 67-59 loss to Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament finals at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Monday, April 2, 2012, in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Ryan Welliver, Staff Writer

He shoots, and he scores. March Madness is a time where 64 college basketball teams battle out in the NCAA tournament.

To get in, a team must do well in the regular season, and for small conferences, win their conference tournament. For big conferences a team must win or do well in their tournament. It also helps if the team is ranked in the top 25 because they get a better seed in the tournament.

It is also a time when people fill out their own brackets either for fun or for competition. Some people know who most of the teams are and follow March Madness completely. Others don’t care a lot but fill out a bracket, and then there are people who just don’t care at all.

Lots of students created March Madness brackets, some with more unique picks than others.

“I have Detroit, UNC Ashville, Lehigh, and Norfolk State in my final four with Lehigh winning because they are good,” senior Zac Love said.

He’s not the only one to have these final four teams,

“I have Lehigh, Norfolk State, UNC Ashville, and Detroit in my final four with Detroit winnning because they get down to business every time!” senior Andrew Krause said.

In the second round there were two number two seeds that were upset by a fifteenth seed. Norfolk State defeated Missouri 86-84 and Lehigh beat Duke 75-70. There are four teams in the same state of Ohio in the sweet sixteen including: Ohio, Ohio State, Xavier, and Cincinnati.

The other teams in the Sweet 16 were KU, Kentucky, Baylor, Indiana, Michigan State, Louisville, Marquette, Florida, NC State, UNC, Syracuse, and Wisconsin.

During the weekend of March 24-25 the field was reduced from eight to the final four: Louisville, Kentucky, Ohio State, and since Kansas State and Mizzou both lost, regional favorites, KU.

The Final Four this year was in New Orleans. In it was number one overall seed Kentucky matched up against with Louisville and KU facing Ohio State.

Students made their predictions about the four teams left in New Orleans, and who they thought would win it all.

“Ohio State, because I hate KU and the other three teams have picked a lot to win,” Krause said.

“Kentucky, because they have the best all around game,” junior Greg Kitchens said.

“Louisville, because they are the strongest defensive team left,” senior Thomas Swope said.

In the final match up that decided it all: Kentucky (who beat Louisville 69-61) and Kansas (who beat Ohio State 64 -62).

Blue versus blue, KU versus UK, one seed versus two seed, and Big 12 versus SEC.

And the winner was… Kentucky who beat Kansas by eight points with a final score of 67-59 on Monday, April 2.

Did you watch the game? Who were you rooting for? Sound off in the comments box below!