Interview with the (stuco) President

Meet Scott Nguyen- your new student elected president!

one of Scott Nguyen’s stuco campaign poster

Aurora Nicol, Writer

What made you want to run for STUCO office?

Running for President has always been a dream of mine and I’ve been planning to fight for this position for a very long time. Northtown is such an important place for me and making an impact is one of my biggest goals. I’d like to make Northtown a better place by doing anything I can and become an amazing role model for all the students here at our school.

What do you plan to implement next year?

Following my campaign’s theme of connections, I’d like to do as much as I can to connect the school together in a healthy way. To do this, I hope that myself and the other Student Body Officers can keep in close contact with our school’s administration and staff in order to do so. I can’t completely disclose my plans for next year just yet, but I will say my goals are to help recover our school post-COVID as well as make it even better than pre-COVID.

What part of stuco inspired you to run again?

In my sophomore year, I ran for Student Body Secretary and unfortunately lost. However, that didn’t bring me down at all since I’ve had my sights set on the presidency from the very beginning. I wouldn’t let a simple loss deter me from accomplishing my dream.

Why do you think you won? What do you think made people want to vote for you?

I can’t say for certain how I won, because I’m not completely sure haha. I will say though that I had a lot of support from all of my friends, and that I couldn’t do it without them. They helped spread the word about my campaign throughout both the school and online through social media. I can’t thank them enough for what they did.

What advice do you have for Northtown students?

My biggest advice for students at Northtown is to get involved. Joining a club or organization at our school is one of the greatest things you can do. There, you’ll meet many new friends and people that’ll help shape your high school career; you’ll also be able to put in your energy into something you can be passionate about. If you’re worried about not being able to fit in, don’t worry! There are so many different clubs at our school that there has to be something for you. If there really isn’t one though, you could actually just make your own! For me, it started with joining Scholar Bowl. It was my first step into getting involved at school, and it gave me the confidence to keep joining more and more clubs, letting me get to where I am today.

Feel free to add any other messages that you might want!

If you’d like to contact me, please feel free to. My email is [email protected] and I’m happy to listen to whatever anyone has to say, whether its potential suggestions for school, questions, a quick conversation, or anything else you could think of. That’s all I’ve got to say, thanks for reading!