NKC Volleyball Stays in the Win Column, Improves to 4-2

Brennen Knabe, Writer & Managing Editor

In the second of the home back-to-back, the 3-2 Lady Hornets took on the 2-2 Fort Osage Indians, in a matchup that is an accurate test to determine playoff seeding.

In an uncharacteristic start, the Hornets continued the momentum they built in the comeback win against Shawnee Mission East, two nights ago. Consistently up double-digits, the Hornet front line was firing on all cylinders, with key players Estes, Minatee, Reese and Washington making usual plays above the net. The first set would go to the Hornets, 25-6.

In the second set, the Indians began to catch themselves, but to no avail. The Hornet momentum carried them, in a moment that could best be described by the energy exhibited after every point. The Lady Hornets played together, and when they do, they’ve proven hard to beat down the stretch. They took the second set 25-20.

In the decisive set 3, the Hornet drive continued, and it was all smiles. The best moments in sports are undoubtedly when everything is firing, and the game becomes basic. It was a good confidence-boosting home win to close out the home stretch. The final set was taken 25-12, and the Hornets improved to 4-2.

After the game, sophomore setter Maddelyn Ottis described the team-oriented play that led the Hornets. “Tonight, we played as a team, and we got going fast and when we can play together like that? Great things happen” Ottis said.

The Hornets face off against the William Chrisman Bears, Thursday (September 16th) on the road, where they look to extend their current streak to 3 games!