Homecoming Week

Kaya Barringer

Queen nominees gather around Katie Dinh. From left to right, Duaa Mohamed, Yoana Zamora-Miranda, Antonia Garcia, Katie Dinh, Kizzie Washington, Trinitee McIntyre and Kennady Washington

Mary Gerend, Writer

After a year of social distancing and hybrid school, Homecoming is more anticipated than ever before. This is a return to some much-needed normalcy, with all of the events that are traditionally held during the week- Spirit Days, the assembly, the parade, the football game, and the dance- are all scheduled to take place without a hitch. The only difference is that masks are required inside, but there will be no capacity limit or social distancing requirements in effect. 

The theme this year is Around the World, with decorations featuring all the continents being placed all around the campus. The theme is tied to North Kansas City High School’s diverse student body, and the North Kansas City School District’s new slogan: “You Belong Here”. Kennady Washington, a queen nominee says, “My favorite thing about Northtown is the fact that no one is the same, but yet everyone fits in somewhere. North Kansas City High School is built of so many different cultures, personalities, and knowledge that everyone connects to another in a unique way. It makes me feel like everyone truly belongs here!” 

The Homecoming football game is scheduled to take place on Friday, October 15 against Oak Park High School, one of Northtown’s rivals. Athletic events against Oak Park are always highly anticipated, and this year the turnout should only increase. The student section is always packed, as king nominee John Pham says, “I love the spirit of Northtown… our football team and student section always are hyped, ready and loud.”

The theme for the football game is Gold Out, a Northtown tradition and fundraiser started in 2017 by former STUCO President Mary Catherine Rechtien. Proceeds from the merchandise sold for Gold Out go to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, which is a not-for-profit organization that strives to find a cure for childhood cancer. Students show up to the game clad in gold-colored clothing and accessories, ranging from face paint, tutus, Gold Out shirts, tights, and headbands. This year, local establishment NKC Nutrition created a special Gold Out Tea, which will be available from September 21 to October 15. All tips and proceeds from the tea’s sales going to St. Jude.

A huge aspect about Homecoming is the Court. Each year, there are twelve senior candidates on the Homecoming Court: six candidates for Homecoming Queen, and six for Homecoming King. The king is crowned at the annual Homecoming assembly, which happens during the day on Friday, October 15, with the queen being crowned at halftime during the football game a few hours later. This year, the candidates for Homecoming Queen are Katie Dinh, Antonia Garcia, Trinitee McIntyre, Duaa Mohamed, Kennady Washington, Kizzie Washington, and Yoana Zamora-Miranda. The King candidates are Charles Moloney, Brandon Nguyen, Scott Nguyen, Domonique Orange, Kevin Pelico, John Pham, and Joe Winfrey. 

All the candidates are extremely involved with the student body, and passionate about the school. For example, Zamora-Miranda is involved with just about everything. From the Northtown Women’s Empowerment Club and National Honor Society to Track & Field, she can be found at practically every event. The same can be said about all of the Candidates, who are involved in a plethora of extracurricular activities. Students will get to see more of this year’s Homecoming Court during the Homecoming Assembly on October 15, where each King/Queen duo will performe an elaborate dance routine. “I’m partners with [King Candidate Scott Nguyen], and we have some pretty great ideas. We hope everyone will love them as much as we do. All of the other Candidates have fun plans as well, so it’s going to be a really good time,” said Zamora-Miranda. 

In addition to the assembly, there is also a Homecoming Parade. The parade will take place at the end of the school day on October 15. It will feature the Hornet Marching Band and the Homecoming Court. In addition, many of Northtown’s clubs will also have floats in the parade, where they will be competing to win a cash prize and award for Best Float.

Homecoming Week concludes with the dance on Saturday evening, from 7-10pm.  It will be held in the feildhouse, featuring a DJ and many of your favorite songs. All grade levels are welcome to attend, be it freshmen looking to experience their first high school dance, or seniors looking to soak up the festivities for the last time.

With a return to normalcy, Northtown’s 2021 Homecoming Week looks to be one that is remembered for years to come. So with that said, vote for your favorite Queen and King candidates, dress up for spirit days, buy a Gold Out tea, and bring your enthusiasm to every event to express your love and pride for Northtown!